Friday, May 15, 2009

Therapeutic and Good family bonding - Building Sand Castles

Do u build sandcastles only in the air thinking it is impossible to build nice sandcastles that u always see on books ?

Years ago, my brother actually bought a set of sandcastles tools when my nephews and niece were very young. They seldom played with it or rather they weren't taught how to use the tools...after so many years, my sister actually passed down the pretty well maintained and clean tools to my kids (though with some missing parts). We didnt really get to use it partly because my kids were much younger then...so we only let them play with the tools at home minus the sand.

Last year, I happened to borrow a book by a local author Alvin Lee, the mastermind behind the company - Castle Beach who created the sandcastle tools and marketed to an American firm which helped him to mass produce for worldwide distribution. Coincidentally I found out from a parents magazine few mths later that his company actually conducts a weekly demonstration and team-building workshops (for corporations etc) at the East Coast beach to teach people how to build beautiful sandcastles using his tools.

Late last year, I brought my family and headed down to East Coast beach with the old tools that we have..after the demo we were so inspired by the simplicity of use of the tools that we bought another set from them to complete our half-dysfunctional set.

Since that day, building sandcastle is one of my family's favourite activitiy at the beach - it is a cheap and fun activity ...and it allows for creativity for the kids too !! Kids will gain confidence from this activity and your heart will melt seeing them so happy and proud of their worksmanship.

Details of the company and the weekend demonstrations and sale of the tools are as below :
http://www.castlebeach.org/ (see the gallery for the photos).

Free sandcastle building classes for public is on every Sat, Sun from 3pm to 7pm.

Location is at East Coast Parkway carpark E2 (near to the food centre) .Walk down to the beach front and you will see a concrete sandcastle (make of grey bricks - that's their office). The set of tools is S$30 but you don't have to purchase it to watch the demonstrations.

Here are some of photos of my humble family's creation and my kids at work :












It is really simple enjoyment and pleasures in life...to be able to do that admist the hustle and bustle of urban leaving. I hope that you and your family can enjoy this too..

*but do remember to spray insect repellent because I got a very bad episode of beach flies bites at the beach and need to be on medication for nearly 2 weeks*




Latest posted on 5th June * Coupon to get 20% Off castle Beach - sandbuilding set *

No comments:

Post a Comment